Monday 27 September 2010

The British Museum

I had to go up to London on Saturday for an Anglo-Italian Family History Society committee meeting.  As it started at 2pm, I decided to go earlier and visit the British Museum (I briefly visited it 2 years ago when dad was in UCH, just up the road!).  I downloaded a guide –what to see if you only have 1 hour at the museum.  What a cool idea!  I find a whole museum quite daunting, and am never sure what I should see, so this is right up my alley!

British Museum 003 

 

it is a really lovely building, although it is Victorian like the V&A and Natural History Museum, it feels much more modern and light and airy – not least because of this beautiful courtyard.  This roof was built over a garden and the circular reading room, I love it!

British Museum 005 British Museum 006 British Museum 007 British Museum 014

 

The Rosetta Stone must be one of the museums greatest treasures

British Museum 008

 

There are treasures from all over the world:

Egypt

British Museum 009  British Museum 013 

Rome

 British Museum 011

This is the Mildenhall treasure found in Norfolk.  Not sure whether it is Roman, or English!

British Museum 018

1 comment:

Giulietta said...

I love the British Museum, Linda. At the moment my favourites are the Saxon coins - amazing to see little bits of silver with the names of the Saxon kings - and the gallery with Alexander the Great - he travelled so extensively so long ago!
Have they removed the South African garden from the front?
Then there is Blades just round the corner in Bury Place...
Let me know if you are coming again...I live a short bus ride away.
Juliet