Friday 29 April 2011

Proud to be British

I was inspired by this post to include news items in my blog.  In fact, I do add big events into my annual scrapbook.  Last year I included the general election because it ended in a coalition, and the volcano in Iceland stopping all air travel for 6 days!

So how can I not include this?

p00gnhc4_640_215

Photo courtesy of www.bbc.co.uk

The wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.  Prince William is second in line to the throne and has married a ‘commoner’.  This is unusual, most heirs to the throne marry from the aristocracy.  I am not very well versed in constitutional matters, nor have any great knowledge regarding the history of the monarchy, but I do admire our Queen Elizabeth II.  I admire her devotion to duty and her impeccable style.  She and Prince Phillip looked fantastic hopping out of the car as they did and both well into their 80s!  I know that they are both still very active in their Royal duties, even at their great ages.  Long live the Queen!

_52400699_untitled-3

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-13231282

I like the ‘pomp and circumstance’ that goes with state occasions such as Royal Weddings and State Openings of Parliament etc. I expect it was wonderful to be there in person today, near Westminster Abbey or on the Mall (there’s no way I was going to try and get to London, or sleep out on the streets as many did).  The atmosphere all over the country is one of rejoicing, lots of street parties and hog roasts!  I think we may have considered a street party here had our children still been young, but all our neighbours children have grown up too!

Having said all that I didn’t watch it live on TV this morning.  I waited until Kate arrived at the Abbey so I could see her dress (which was indeed very elegant) but then went out!  It was nice and quiet on the roads as we drove to Southampton to visit Ikea (more about that in a later post).

I wish the new Royal Couple, now bestowed the title Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, all the very best for a long and happy marriage, and will raise my glass to them later on!

I am surprised at just how much coverage this wedding has all round the world.  Our Royal Family is so well known and loved, over 1/3rd of the world’s population watched on TV!  It makes me feel proud to feel British!

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Was fun to see the dress, she looked so beautiful I managed to stay awake to see. lol. Interesting on the IKEA trip.

Chicken Licken said...

I was GLUED to it and I shall watch the highlights too! Oh I am so proud to be British

Shari said...

Great post Linda - love the photos you have posted. I think I might just have to do a scrapbook page about the Royal Wedding. I really enjoyed watching this on tv from downunder.

Cheri said...

It has had a lot of coverage here in the USA too. I saw bits of it. Love all the ceremony.

scrappysue said...

I was proud too Linda, and thought the whole thing was just stonking!

JO SOWERBY said...

me too,
Jo xxx

Alison said...

I saw bits of it on the TV at different points of the day, and then watched the whole ceremony and other highlights at night. The dress was gorgeous! Thanks for the good wishes for mum-she's a bit easier today
Alison xx

Gem's Crafts said...

It's great that you're going to scrap the wedding (and other historical moments). I only watched until they finished walking up the aisle too, then went out to buy work tops!

alexa said...

I bet Ikea was quiet! Glad you were able to catch up on a very memorable occasion...

Anonymous said...

It made me proud to be British too. I am going to watch it again on i-player this afternoon whilst I do the business accounts.