Thursday 9 February 2012

Friendship Quilt

I meet once a month with my cabin friends, Burnice and Tash.  We meet in  Burnice’s craft cabin in her garden, and have lately concentrated on quilting, although we do the odd papercrafting too, drink the odd mug of tea, and eat cake!  We decided to make each other blocks for a friendship quilt as a Christmas present.

We gave each other 1 fat quarter, which had to be incorporated in the block.

Burnice’s block.  I gave her the house fabric in the border.  isn’t this lovely?  I love the yo-yo flowers and there are little charms dangling from the ribbon, a sewing machine, a cup and a clock.

12.02.08 craft 023

Tash’s block.  I gave her the green house fabric.  These 4 blocks come from the book ‘Hobo Quilts’.  The book tells of the secret language of hobos ‘riding the rails’ from the 1880s to 1940s America.  These blocks represent (clockwise) good water – because I live near the sea, work available –because of the spades, and I like gardening,  housewife feeds for chores – because I am a housewife, and well guarded house – because of my dog(more likely he will lick an intruder to deathSmile).  tash really put a lot of thought into this!

12.02.08 craft 022

My block, using up some of my gorgeous batiks!  This is a pinwheel block.

12.02.08 craft 024

We all made the same for our 4th block, this wonky house represents the cabin, and the ribbon says, ‘laugh often, sit long, talk much’, which is just what we do!

12.02.08 craft 021

And here’s what they look like all stitched together.  I would like to do more borders and make it a bit bigger.  What do you think?

12.02.08 craft 020

You can see Tash’s quilt here

8 comments:

Gem's Crafts said...

How lovely that you all contributed to each others quilts :) my mum has been quilting for about 2 years now and we have quite a few at our house, so I know how much effort will have gone into it. I would put a border round it, in a co-ordinating colour, but that's just my opinion :)

Alison said...

What a lovely idea..and beautiful work!
Alison xx

Burnice said...

lovely jubbly! Yeah go on make it bigger.
Burnice x

alexa said...

They look lovely individually and together - and yes, a bigger border would set them off even better. What nice friends you all are to each other. :)

Erin @ MakeitSew said...

So darling! I love that yo-yo block! And I vote for making it bigger.

Nicole said...

Those yo-yo flowers are lovely! My favorite block is the wonky house. How perfect to insert the text!

Shari said...

What a great idea Linda - all the blocks are lovely.

MiniOwner said...

Wow! That's beautiful.
Sue x