Thursday 23 August 2012

RESOURCEFUL

My One Little Word for the year is RESOURCEFUL (see Ali Edwards for more information).  I recently revisited my word and wrote some new goals for the rest of the year.  I want to discover my inner resources and to see just how much I can do! 

One way of doing this is to exercise more, and see if and by how much I can improve my fitness.  I am going to the gym, and enjoying it!  I never thought that I would say/write that!!!   Being resourceful, I found an old pair of Lucy’s trainers and have leggings and tops from previous exercising.trainers 001

I have been doing Pilates type exercise on a Wednesday morning for a few months and encouraged by my improvement, I decided I’d try Boot Camp!  I’m just coming to the end of my first 4 weeks, exercising 3 times a week at Infinite Fitness.  I am so lucky that the gym is literally 5 minutes walk from my house, that Jason our Boot Camp ‘commandant’ makes the classes such fun, and that I go with 2 friends.  All things that encourage me to keep going.  On top of the 3 Boot Camp sessions and Pilates I am still walking the dog twice a day and try to do an Aquazumba class occasionally. My goals are to do a proper sit up from lying flat on the floor and to run about 1.5 miles, down to the sea and back.

 

Another way of discovering my inner resources is to notice and be grateful for the beauty and joy in everyday things. I made a daily note last month of things that ‘made me smile’, and then found this class, Ode to Nature!  Thanks to Alexa, on whose blog I found the link, and who has written brilliant blog posts about the class.

I’ve been collecting things!  I’m keeping them on the kitchen windowsill at the moment.  (Excuse the dirty window!!!)  Flowers from the garden, shells, pebbles and seaweed from the beach, leaves, feathers and pine cones from my dog walks around the local streets.

ode to nature 006  

Alisa has some wonderful ideas for recording these finds, with photography, sketching and painting.  So I thought I’d have a go!  I was pleasantly surprised at my results:

ode to nature 009ode to nature 002ode to nature 013ode to nature 002ode to nature 006

ode to nature 013

I’d love to do a series of ‘still life’ framed photographs for my home.

I am not an artist, and never really tried to sketch or paint, so was really thrilled with my watercolours of the shells!  I found an old watercolour set and some water brushes, and picked one of (the many) watercolour paper books I have, and now I’m hooked!  I want to learn about painting and sketching.  I love the way it makes me really study things.  I love trying to make the right shapes and colours.  I love trying to capture the way the light falls on things.  Gosh I have a lot to learn!

ode to nature 020ode to nature 017ode to nature 017

Alisa suggests using a field journal, and to sketch, take rubbings and stick things straight into the book.  Here’s my leaves from the garden, and a work in progress of a flower I found on the beach.  I think it is a wild mallow.

ode to nature 018ode to nature 019

My goal is to practice sketching and painting, and to keep up with a field journal.  It makes me study things, find the natural beauty in things and to live in the moment.

Now that summer is drawing to a close, I can’t wait for autumn to continue my Ode to Nature.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to go on your exercise & fitness goals - sounds like you are getting in some fabulous exercise!

Maria Ontiveros said...

What a great post. I love seeing what others are doing in this class. I agree that sketching and water colors are easier than I expected and are addicting. I recently won a canvas from a blog give away and ordered it with one of my seashore arrangements.
Rinda

Jeans 'n Tshirt said...

you have such a bright place to hang out here at your blog! and your collections and sketches are so nice - clean and very colorful.

Ariel said...

Hi Linda You've got a great collection. Your sketches are coming out great. I too am part of the Ode to Nature class.
Susan

alexa said...

It's lovely to sense your enjoyment and blossoming in new directions! Your arrangements are so tactile too - I wanted to pick up those pebbles with the holes in :).

MiniOwner said...

Well I was worn out just reading about your fitness regime, Linda. :o) Well done, you, I am just jealous. Love your collection, too.
Sue xx
PS See you in October?

Alison said...

Well done on your fitness regime..and are the leaves in the UK really turning already?! Your still life pics are great!
Alison xx

onshore said...

Wow, I like your drawings, really live looking.